If you have ever started a business or you are thinking about it just remember, it takes time and sometimes or should I say it will usually take longer than you think. One of the greatest lessons that I have learned in business is that you must pace yourself. I hear so many stories of entrepreneurs working crazy hours (sometimes twice as much as a full-time employee) when starting a business and truthfully, it will take an obscene amount of work at times, but what you have got to do is learn to pace yourself. You would never run a marathon at full speed and building a business is a marathon. It’s not so much how fast you finish, but that you actually finish the race as so many don’t. In the tips below I share ways to pace yourself, so you not only don’t burn out, but you won’t quit.
“The hare can get you going, but the tortoise will finish the race.” author unknown
So here are some tips to build your business and help you stay in the race long enough to succeed.
- Set monthly, quarterly, and annual goals (write them down, something happens to the subconscious when you write your goals down. Don’t type them, get out a pad and paper and write them down.)
- Set daily tasks and always give attention to the most important ones first (80/20 rule).
- If your business requires that you prospect or cold call, set aside an hour or two per day to do some calls. Honestly, you’re probably only good for 2 to 3 hours a day of cold calling or following up on leads at the very most.
- Always look at your calendar to see who you need to follow up with. Very rarely will anyone do anything without follow up (the fortune is in the follow up as they say).
- Exercise regularly (you must take care of your health if you are going to stay in the game. Set aside 30 minutes to an hour per day to walk, hike, surf, hit the gym.)
- Eat right (your diet is so important and will give you more energy and focus throughout the day).
- Sleep (get plenty of rest, rest is important and you will need it for focus and stamina.)
- Pray daily – If you don’t believe in God try and find faith in something other than yourself because that faith is going to keep you going strong when you feel like quitting the race, which will happen a lot more than you think.
- Meditate daily. Set aside 15 to 20 minutes per day to meditate, your mind & spirit need to calm themselves. This will gets you in a good vibration and with good feelings, you will repel negativity and connect with better quality people which you need to be successful in business.) If you’re constantly worried, anxious, and rushed those are the type of people you will attract. Learn to be calm cool and collected. It will take practice, but you really want to get this one.
- Read. Set aside a few minutes per day to read. I personally like to read first thing in the morning as I notice it helps me stay focus. Discipline yourself to read 10 pages per day.
- Set aside a time of day to do emails and social media. I recently took Facebook off of my mobile phone and don’t have my business emails on my mobile phone either. This forces me not to look at Facebook or emails when I’m away from my computer.
- Consistent activity. Be consistent and don’t waste time with your activities.
- Slow & deliberate – be slow and deliberate in everything you do. If you move too fast you will make costly mistakes and truthfully in business, you are trying to control your losses while increasing your profits.
Hope these tips help you while you build your business, many of these tips aren’t even business related, but will apply to most any business if you plan on being around in 2, 3, or even 5 years. Think of it like charging your phone battery every night before you go to bed. Your body and your mind needs these things and so does your business. I have personally been completely self-employed for 8 of the past 10 years and don’t know too many who are still in the game. I know a few who have hit the big time, but most of the people I know who were self-employed at one time are back at their jobs, bankrupt, or have dropped off the face of the earth.
If you’d like to create some additional income or would like to start your own home based business feel free to visit http://workwithjohn.biz
Facebook – Facebook.com/johnloweryfanpage
More Resources For You:
Pick up a copy of John’s book
The Social Media Puzzle & How To Profit From it available on Amazon.
Did This Help You? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you commented below and shared on Facebook or any of the other Social Media Sites.